A small village in Southwest Saskatchewan, Val Marie is a rustic portal situated on the threshold of Grassland National Park, one of the most fragile ecosystems in the world.
A mixture of ranching, farming, and tourism with a growing artistic economy, Val Marie boasts art galleries, a natural history museum/art gallery/gift & bookshop, a village square, murals, several artist studios, one of Saskatchewan’s oldest crib style grain elevators, two restaurants, and a friendly, licensed grocery store.
Grasslands National Park
Grasslands National Park offers marked trails where visitors will find breathtaking vistas of land and sky. The light, colour, form, texture, fragrance and movement of the grasses, birds and resident animal populations, never fail to mesmerize locals as well as even the most crusty visitors! See the stars in the darkest Dark Sky Preserve in Canada!
Grasslands Visitor Centre
Located at the junction of Centre Street and Hwy 4/18.
Open May 1st – Thanksgiving, open daily but hours vary in May & September.
Photo by James R. Page
Experience The Grasslands
- Sky Story Art Studio Tour*
- Artist Studios Around Val Marie*
- Heritage Elevator Tour: Please contact Village of Val Marie administration office to book a 20-30 minute tour: 306-298-2022. By donation.
- Val Marie River Walk
- Prairie Wind Silver Sage EcoMuseum and Gallery
- Horseback tours bookable for East Block with private tour operator
- Mary’s Labyrinth is located on the property of The Crossing at Grasslands and offers a serene, open air container for walking meditation and prayer. Open daily from 1pm to 6pm
- Sky Story Art and/or Yoga Retreats
- Sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs & Resort (1.25 hours South, in Montana)
- Metis Veterans Memorial, Lac Pelletier Regional Park
*Available by appointment.
Reconnect with Art & Yoga
Artist, consultant, yogini and B&B owner, Diana Chabros offers studio tours, guided art workshops, retreats and Yoga teachings with a focus on connecting earth, mind and body. Experience your inner landscape through art, Yoga and nature. A professional exhibiting visual artist, consultant, yogini and B & B owner, Diana offers guided art retreats and workshops for non-artists and artists. Learn more about Sky Story Studio here and find her complete artist bio and portfolio at dianachabros.com.
Accreditation: Diana acquired her Bachelor of Fine Arts and Masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction (Arts Education), and has studied with traditional indigenous elders for several years including her partner, Joseph Naytowhow. In 2015 she acquired her 300 hours of Yoga Teacher Training with Brenda and Georg Feuerstein, (traditionalyogastudies.com), and continues her studies (which include Yoga-nīdra, meditation, trauma-based Yoga, and subtle energy with TYS, dementia (through Wickings Institute), and Tibetan Buddhist philosophy with her teacher The Ninth Neten Rinpoche. In 2019, Diana also completed her teacher’s training in Painting From the Source intuitive painting in Iceland with one of her painting mentors, Aviva Gold, MFA, MPS, CSW, ATR-BC, REAT.
Local & Regional Information
- Prairie Wind Silver Sage – Museum, Gallery and Giftshop
- Village of Val Marie
- Lac Pelletier Regional Park
- Wood River Inn & Studio
- Great Southwest
- Tourism Saskatchewan
- Joseph Naytowhow – Artist Website
- Diana Chabros – Artist Website
- Art Gallery of Swift Current
- Shurniak Art Gallery
Header photo by James R. Page